A creamy potato soup with sausage, like Olive Garden’s.
- 1 pound bulk mild Italian sausage
- 1 1/4 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup real bacon pieces
- 2+ Tbs olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 5 chicken bullion cubes
- 8 cups water
- 6 potatoes, sliced (thinly sliced cooks faster, thickly sliced reheats better)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 bunch fresh kale torn in bite-sized pieces, heaving stems and spines removed
- Cook the Italian sausage and red pepper flakes in a heavy
stockpotover medium-high heat until crumbly, browned, and no longer pink, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Combine bacon pieces, olive oil, onions, and garlic in same pot; cook until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the water and bullion into the pot with the bacon and onion mixture; bring to a boil over high heat. Add the potatoes, and boil until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the heavy cream and the cooked sausage; heat through. Mix the kale into the soup just before serving, allowing it to wilt just a bit.